Monday, December 22, 2008

So I have been thinking about our trip to Vegas and I had some thoughts so bear with me. And I have a few pictures to post. Normally we have lots of pictures after the bowl game because my dad and Austin would storm the field with the fans and get lots of pictures with players but not this year. So it got me thinking. As I was looking through the bowl program I was looking at the Arizonia players and I just could not imagine any of these guys pictures haning on Austin's wall or Dani thinking any of them are cute or wanting to stay game after game to have her picture taken with them. They were not clean cut. A lot had earrings or long hair or mean looking. I am not trying to be judging but I am so grateful that my kids have good role models. I like walking into thier rooms and seeing pictures of Max, David, Fui, John B., Austin C. and Jonathan T. and Bryan K. hanging on thier walls. I like that we can go to a fireside and see David singing every word to a primary song that he knows by heart. What a better role model for Dani as to looking for qualities that one day she will want in a husband. I am so grateful when Austin mentions who his role models are he names scriptures heros, BYU players and then Indy. But still for only Indy to be on the list of that is not bad. He is in great company. And because of my two older ones now Baylie and Cooper look at these guys as some of thier role models. I am in awe every time I hear Bronco talk about these players but more he talks about them as good preisthood holders and building amazing men more than amazing athletes. I know they are not perfect and have faults but when I condiser the other things that could be hanging on their walls or the crushes Dani could have on other superstars. It makes me grateful they pick these guys. And honestly Dani talks more about David Nixon than any superstar or celebrity out there. And yes she had a lesson on the fact that he is older and he can date and have a girlfriend but then it is nice to know that she can go to the program and find another crush with the same values and standards that we have. And that Austin can look at these guys and know he can still play football, go to school and go on a mission and be successful. What is better than that. It makes me so grateful for the gospel and that little things like a football team and coaches actually help teach my kids truth and what to stand for.

3 comments:

Lyndzi said...

The church is TRUE!

Brandon and Jen Jensen said...

That's exactly how we feel. My husband(well all of us!) love BYU for what they stand for, and not just if they do well. Great post!

Tanya Bennett said...

Hey Merry Christmas Eve (day)! Yeah we made it, another year under our belt. Thats how I feel this year - I have learned alot and hope to keep making progress. I guess I will worry about putting this into words on New Years. Vegas looked fun. I miss going there for events, fun, if you stay in the right places. We are going sledding today - we got dumped on -tons of snow. Then we will settle down for Christmas Eve, present wrapping and snacks. Can't wait to see you either. Have a great day!